Friday, October 12, 2012

CHILLIN in CALI

HEADING TO THE COAST 



Had some great few days with Rebecca hanging out in Bend. Went on a fabulous 30 mile single track ride by the volcanos and enjoyed some solid beer and company.




Headed east over the Pacific Crest.   Was meant to take the Mackenzie Pass road but somehow complely missed the turn off and ended up going over some other pass taking me about 20+ miles out of my way.   Was frustrated because I was heading for Cougar Hotspring, but ended up making it just in time.



Big fan of hotspring and especially the people you meet there!   Check out our parking lot party!



Finally made it down to the coast a couple of days later.   Oh, how I missed the ocean!



Wax on, Wax off



Nothin like a beautiful sunset over the Pacific!



Tried to take a side road down by the dunes national park....    not a good idea....   backtracking...



Whilst touring along in Alaska and Canada I had met only a handful of other cycle tourists.   Heading down the coast was such a change of scene there being so many people going my way.   Cycled with Klaus for a wonderful couple of days.



Sunset riding



People say the traffic on the coast route is dangerous.....



Sneak peak at the spectacular coast. 


Just about each new turn revealed wonderful photo opportunites and the people were stopped every where taking it all in.



From the coast heading inland to the infamous Redwoods National Park.   These trees are huge towering over 300+ feet tall.




Never thought I'd ride my bike thru a tree before!





Here are Sunny and Derby coming to my rescue.    They live in Monterey and came up for the week to meet with me and be my 'support vehicle.'  It was great to ride without all my packs and to find them waiting just up ahead with treats dangling out the window!



After cruising thru the redwoods we finally made it down the the ocean again.   Sunny had remembered that she had a friend that went to university nearby.   Pat was quick to let us stay and take up Abalone diving.   Both Sunny and I came back empty handed but Pat got three - enough for a huge feast!



Getting down on some Abs!



Nothing says Cardiac Arrest like onions with bacon and Abalone wrapped around and fried!



Sunny cookin up some great grub!

This is just half of the Abalone that we got in one night!   



Went thru Point Reyes which is known for fabulous oysters. 





Sunny and I stealth camping in a horse trailer at the baseball field.   Camping here was $42 per tent!



This was the view from inside the trailer - you could put this on the wall of an art gallery and charge thousands for this...    at least I like the view.



Most beautiful fire hydrant I have ever seen!



The wild blackberries were in season and were a welcome distraction from sitting on the bike all day.   Sunny could always tell when I got into the berries as my face would usually show the signs on berry binging.



Kicked it into San Francisco on a wonderfully clear day!




Eating Dim Sum in China Town!




Fighting the hills in China town to get back to the coast.



Headed down the coats to Monterey an am currently spending some time with Sunny and friends/family.   It is a quaint area with plenty of opportunities for adventure.


The jellyfish exhibit at the local aquarium.



Sunny was giving me the tour around town and explaining where all the famous people lived....   being from Wisconsin I never really met anyone famous before and I had explained to her that these people dont really exist to me - they could be cartoons for all I know....   10 minutes later in the drug store sure enough - there was Clint Eastwood....  

Anywho - going to hang out with MY real stars - Sunny & Derby, Jean and all the great people I have met so far here in town.   Hope to go diving tomorrow then head back up to SF until continuing south to San Diego.   With over 5500 miles completed and only about 600 more to go I feel like I can start to relax a bit and slow the pace a bit and enjoy all the coast and California has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment